Saturday, August 1, 2015

Very Powerful Words...

Recently, I was watching this movie called "Words and Pictures".  It is a very nice movie.  Makes you appreciate the power of words as well as pictures.  

So here I am reading a book titled, 'The Small Backs of Children' by Lidia Yuknavitch and this reminds me of the movie.  How powerful can the words be? 

This is very different from any other books I have read so far.  It is not a book for the 'light hearted'.  This is the first book I have read that is by this author and I think I am going to look into other writings by her.  She has a very unique and interesting writing style in this novel.  It makes you think...or more like...you actually have to think a lot about the words she chooses and how she decides to lay it out.  Sometimes you keep re-reading it...till you think you got what she is trying to say.  Sometimes you might even end up starting over. It is confusing and yet keeps your interest at the same time. Very interesting and thought provoking novel!

Couple of quotes from the book that I thought was very powerful:

"There are many kinds of love, but there is never a love, or a life, without pain." -- Lidia Yuknavitch

"Who are we in moments of crisis or despair?  Do we become deeper, truer selves, or lift up and away from a self, untethered from regular meanings like moths suddenly drawn toward heat or light?  Are we better people when someone might be dying, and if so, why?  Are we weaker, or strong?  Are we beautiful, or abject?  Serious, or cartoon?  Do we secretly long for death to remind us we are alive? " -- Lidia Yuknavitch

"This is a world of men.  They come into your country, they invade your home, they kill your family.  They turn your body into the battlefield - the territory of all violence - all power - all life and death.  And we take it.  We do.  We keep taking it.  We have lost track of the reasons we do not slaughter the world of men, but we do not.  Yes, there are good men.  She sees the face of her father.  She sees how the filmmaker loves the writer.  She sees the yet-unwritten life of the writer's son.  She sees her...brother.  Beautiful smear.  But it is the world of men that creates pure destruction.  And this is a truth we cannot bear.  Since we bear them into the world, we cannot kill them.  Cannot be done with them.  Cannot exile them into oblivion." -- Lidia Yuknavitch

No comments: